[CentOS] How to remove a Trash folder from a mounted ntfs partition

Sat Oct 22 23:33:07 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 10/21/11 8:24 AM, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have a HDD from a laptop that is being returned for
> repair replacement.  I wish to remove certain files before
> sending the laptop back with the HDD.

boot a Linux rescue USB or CD to a shell prompt

   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=65536

this will as quickly as possible zero the entire disk, effectively
erasing all files.   with modern disks, a single pass of zeros is about
as good as it gets, the old multipass secure "DOD" erasure was designed
for antique disks that had bits the size of sand grains.   even this
fast single pass of zeros will take an hour or so to wipe 300gb.

or, if you've connected this disk to a linux PC with a USB adapter or
whatever, do the same command, replacing sda with the correct physical
drive (no partition numbers)