[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

Mon Oct 31 21:24:31 UTC 2011
Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com>

On Oct 31, 2011, at 1:50 PM, Ron Blizzard wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 7:36 AM, William Warren
>> I think many of us would like to see releases in a timely manner.
>> Centos is now months behind in nearly every version with the onset of
>> cent6.  I've started moving boxes to ubuntu due to this increasing
>> delay.  The security of many machines is now at stake with these
>> continued delays.
>
> But isn't that the purpose of the CR-repo, to insure that CentOS 6.0
> users get the latest security updates in a timely manner?
----
No - I think the purpose was to provide updates that fall between releases but given that the 6.1 release hasn't happened, it has assumed the role you suggest, at least at some level.

I too moved on to Ubuntu some 6 or so months ago because I could see that CentOS 6 was going to be a problem.

While I can appreciate that the CentOS are doing what they can do given the parameters they have to work from, I can only see Red Hat killing off their base in order to protect their base.

I'm all for a successful CentOS as I see it just helps the Linux & Red Hat ecosystem to have them successfully re-spin the upstream product.

Craig