[CentOS] CentOS 6 Partitioning Help

Jonathan Vomacka juvix88 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 01:41:19 UTC 2011

Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I have heard the suggestion of not using SWAP
which is fine. My curiosity on the SWAP subject is now what happens if
all memory is used or an application has a memory leak. Does the server
crash if there is no SWAP and all available RAM is used? Will SWAP cause
performance degradation issues? Also the system is not able to drop a
core dump is the SWAP doesn't match the RAM. I guess I am a little
worried because CentOS docs suggest 10GB of SWAP for 8GB of RAM, but it
doesn't explain if any performance issues are seen, or if SWAP is still
necessary if core dumps are not needed. I was hoping someone in the
field who has had first hand experience can tell me these additional
questions which may not be answered in the docs.

Also, any help you can give me regarding a partition map would be great.