[CentOS] CentOS 6 Partitioning Help

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Sep 1 13:54:25 UTC 2011

Always Learning wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 15:19 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> just goes to show how well people actually read anything on the
>> internet these days. and then they can't understand why the original
>> poster gets irritated when he's told to use a hammer to hit the nail
>> into the wall, when asked what color your car is.

But who's filling the bathtub with power tools?
<snip>
I missed the thread overnight (for me), but the way I used to recommend it
is part of my article, which you can read at
<http://24.5-cent.us/upgrading_linux.doc> These days, our default here at
work is:
/boot is 200M (we'll probably be moving that up to 300M or 500M, given the
preupgrade of fedora that will probably be coming down the pike).
2GB is swap
and the rest of the drive is / (my manager doesn't like LVM, for some
reason). home directories are *always* NFS mounted here; at home, it's
*always* on a separate partition or drive, along with /opt, though I might
start putting /usr/local there as well, given that some things seem to be
moving back there from /opt.

Sizing: remember, do NOT size for "typical", size for worst huge case,
esp. for a production or development system that others will be using.

         mark