[CentOS] OT: help with email list reading programs w/ best features to read the centos and other lists that can filter people etc

Marko Vojinovic

vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 15:52:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:48 AM, R - elists <lists07 at abbacomm.net> wrote:
>> i am suprised that more folks havent spoken up about favorite "threaded
>> email readers" or has everyone just gone to Thunderbird or other similar?

AFAIK, every recent mail client has threading support. They should all
basically be feature-complete, as long as you are not asking for
something *very* awkward. ;-)

> Threads really only matter when responses are slow enough that you
> forget the context - in which case you probably aren't all that
> interested anyway.

Or when you are involved in several conversations at the same time,
and don't want to get confused. Or when you want your e-mail
correspondences (and especially mailing lists) to be sorted in a neat
way, like a filesystem tree. It can be very convenient, I am using
threaded view in KMail all the time, for all my e-mail activity ---
very easy to organize e-mails in an intuitive way. :-)

>  With thunderbird I normally don't use a threaded
> view but sometimes flip to it (which is sort of awkward except on a
> Mac where you can use OS facilities to map a key to a multi-step
> operation).  But in gmail I do like their normal 'conversation'
> presentation where the previously read messages are mostly hidden but
> accessible with a click and the unread messages are all opened
> together with large blocks of quoted text mostly hidden.  I'm used to
> reading 'backwards' in time order so I know what has already been
> answered, but the gmail view is a little nicer to see the new portion
> in order and in context.

What I miss a lot in gmail's web interface is proper threading. That
"conversation" organization of e-mails is essentially the same thing,
only done worse. There is no way to distinguish sub-threads of a given
thread. Everything within one "conversation" is being displayed
linearly, instead of a natural tree-ordering. When a thread starts to
branch out into several directions at the same time, gmail's
"conversation" idea becomes worse than useless.

I use a gmail account on a regular basis, but try to avoid their web
interface whenever I can. KMail is so much better (for me at least)...
;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko