[CentOS] New wireless controller

Emmett Culley emmett at webengineer.com
Fri Sep 2 17:33:08 UTC 2011

On 09/02/2011 09:46 AM, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 02/09/11 04:54, Emmett Culley wrote:
>> I just installed an Asus PCE-n13 wireless card into one of my CentOS 5.6 systems.  It uses the RaLink 2680 chip set and I was able to get the driver loaded using modprobe rt2x00pci.ko.  I saw no error and now see that the module is loaded along with mac80211 and other dependencies.
>>
>> Now I need to know how to create the wlan0 device.  I can find nothing via Google searches on how to create that device.  I assumed the driver would do that upon loading, but now I expect some ioctl to the driver command may be required.
>>
>> I created an ifcfg-wlan0 file, but of course ifup wlan0 always returns device not found.
>>
>> Can somebody tell me where to start on getting the wlan0 device created?
>>
>> Emmett
>
> Hi Emmett,
>
> Are you sure that's the right driver?
>
> My guess is you might want the Ralink rt2860sta driver if it's a 2680
> chipset. See here:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-rt2860sta
>
> Anyway, to know for sure, please post the output from the following
> command (all one line):
>
> for BUSID in $(/sbin/lspci | awk '{ IGNORECASE=1 } /net/ { print $1 }');
> do /sbin/lspci -s $BUSID -m; /sbin/lspci -s $BUSID -n; done
>
> Also, those Ralink wireless network drivers tend to be built with
> support for NetworkManager so you should generally enable the
> NetworkManager service (and disable network and wpa_supplicant services)
> and let NetworkManager control the device.

Yup, looks like I am trying to load the wrong driver.  I assumed that if the driver loaded it found the hardware.

[root at bus ~]# for BUSID in $(/sbin/lspci | awk '{ IGNORECASE=1 } /net/ { print $1 }');  do /sbin/lspci -s $BUSID -m; /sbin/lspci -s $BUSID -n; done
01:00.0 "Network controller" "RaLink" "RT2860" "ASUSTeK Computer Inc." "Device 130f"
01:00.0 0280: 1814:0781
02:00.0 "Ethernet controller" "Intel Corporation" "82574L Gigabit Network Connection" "Super Micro Computer Inc" "Device 10d3"
02:00.0 0200: 8086:10d3
03:00.0 "Ethernet controller" "Intel Corporation" "82574L Gigabit Network Connection" "Super Micro Computer Inc" "Device 10d3"
03:00.0 0200: 8086:10d3

I'll get the correct driver.

Also, this is a specialized server, so network manager is not an option.  Plus, the wireless card will be configured as an access point and I don't believe NM will allow me ot configure it that way.

Emmett