[CentOS] CentOS 6.0 and 3ware 9650SE series RAID Performance

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Fri Sep 2 17:51:24 UTC 2011

Data loss could conceivably occur on shutdown or restart too - just saying... You are assuming that the data that doesn't get written to disk is going to be non-essential... I wish you good luck with that. I think if one doesn't want to be an idiot, one would not enable a cache that has no means to ensure that the cache is written to disk.

I think your take away from all of this is somewhat misdirected. Not having a BBU simply means that your writes really should always be synchronous/immediate. That shouldn't really be a problem and shouldn't impose a large performance penalty.

Your performance issue relates more to the fact that RAID 5 implementation on the 3Ware cards is rather poor and modes such as RAID 10 (RAID 0 + 1) will give you much more speed that you realize. If you also consider on the surprisingly higher rates of failure with loss of data possibility when reconstructing a missing/dead drive on a RAID 5 setup you really should be re-examining your storage strategy.

Craig