[CentOS] Broadcom Wifi Problem

Michael D. Berger m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 21:50:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:54:59 -0400, b.j. mcclure wrote:
[...]
> Your firmware appears to be installed and the wl driver you compiled
> appears to be loaded.  If the driver and firmware are compatible then I
> would check that Network Manager is running and Networking and Wireless
> Networking are enabled in the NM applet.  Network Manager should create
> an auto-<ssid_of_accesspoint> configuration file in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
>
> If that all looks o.k. I'll have to pass the baton to someone that may
> have experience with your driver.
>
> The stock driver (b43) does work on my machine although on some routers
> dhcp does not work and I have had to configure a static IP to get a
> connection.  ymmv.
>
> B.J.
>
> CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final)

My NetworkManager doesn't work (that's another problem, but low
priority), and it is my intention to use wpa_supplicant and dhclient
from the command line.  But obviously, if I can't see anything
with ifconfig, I can't do that. ifconfig did work before I
made the changes.  With regard do compatibility between the firmware
and the driver, I could not say.  Maybe that is the problem.

Thanks for your help.
Mike.