[CentOS] scim-bridge?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Sep 6 21:29:12 UTC 2011

On 09/06/11 1:43 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Anybody familiar with it, or what it's needed for? I've got at least one
> user (it's *very* noticeable with her) whose system is spamming
> /var/log/messages, to the effect of "Another agent is running...\nFailed
> to allocate the agent. Exitting" (complete with misspelled exiting).
>
> In googling, I've seen someone just removing the package. What, if
> anything, would that break?
>
> Oh, right, CentOS 5.6, KDE 3.5.4-1

    # yum info scim-bridge
    Available Packages
    Name       : scim-bridge
    Arch       : x86_64
    Version    : 0.4.5
    Release    : 9.el5
    Size       : 111 k
    Repo       : base
    Summary    : SCIM Bridge Gtk IM module
    URL        : http://www.scim-im.org/projects/scim_bridge
    License    : LGPL
    for SCIM.

from browsing that URL, it appears IM in this context means Input
Method, and SCIM is some kind of generic Smart Common Input Method
editor, for which SCIM-Bridge is a Gtk(Gnome) shim of some sorts.

looks like its mostly for far eastern languages.