[CentOS] CentOS 6: Making KDE Default

John Beranek john at redux.org.uk
Wed Sep 7 21:49:04 UTC 2011

On 07/09/2011 22:35, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> Michael D. Berger wrote:
>
>> I learned from Anne that if I boot to level
>> 5, after I enter the username, can select
>> Gnome or KDE.  I note that the default is
>> always Gnome.
>>
>>    How can I make the default KDE?
>>
>>    How can I get KDE with startx after booting to level 3?
>
> Assuming it is the same as fedora, put the lines
>
> DESKTOP="KDE"
> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>
> in /etc/sysconfig/desktop to change it for all users.

You beat me to the punch:

[root at test-centos6-vm ~]# head -25 /etc/X11/prefdm
#!/bin/sh

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

# We need to source this so that the login screens get translated
[ -f /etc/sysconfig/i18n ] && . /etc/sysconfig/i18n

# Run preferred X display manager
quit_arg=
preferred=
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
        . /etc/sysconfig/desktop
        if [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = GNOME ]; then
                preferred=/usr/sbin/gdm
                quit_arg="--retain-splash"
        elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = KDE ]; then
                preferred=/usr/bin/kdm
        elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = WDM ]; then
                preferred=/usr/bin/wdm
        elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = XDM ]; then
                preferred=/usr/bin/xdm
        elif [ -n "$DISPLAYMANAGER" ]; then
                preferred=$DISPLAYMANAGER
        else
                quit_arg="--retain-splash"

John.

--
John Beranek                         To generalise is to be an idiot.
http://redux.org.uk/                                 -- William Blake