[CentOS] Vitualization and Partitioning

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 03:10:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

> When I do the install, do I or should I setup a separate partition for guest
That would be better from a performance point of view

> OS's? From the redhat docs, it looks like the guest OS's reside at
> /var/lib/libvirt/images/.
This should be using files as disk files, which I did and found it to
be a problem when there is heavy I/O.

>I may combine my windoze XP on the CentOS machine
> so would I need to create a partition and format that at installation? If I
> decide to wait and go with Windoze 7 can I still create the partition later?
>
> I would like a partition scheme that allows for easier upgrades or installs
> without losing data.

Try using LVM then, it allows you to create and resize logical
partitions, including expanding with additional hard disks in the
future without having to reconfigure your VM guest (except the usual
file system expansion steps)

> Thanks, I'm more confused now that when I started reading about this stuf..

That's my experience too, the more we read, the more
alternatives/options there are, the more confusing it gets! :D