[CentOS] CentOS 6, Broadcom, missing wlan0

Michael D. Berger m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 02:11:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:22:24 +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:11:49 +0200, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>
>> Michael D. Berger wrote:
>>> This is a continuation of my previous thread:
>>>     "Broadcom Wifi Problem"
>>
>> I didn't follow the whole thread, but have you tried building the nosrc
>> rpm provided by elrepo?
>> Instructions are very clear, and it worked fine for me a few months
>> back for a new laptop (can't remember the brand or model) where I was
>> installing C6 x86_64.
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod

[...]

After doing a patch to get it to compile, I installed wl.ko
from the older version:
   broadcom-sta_5.10.91.9.3.orig.tar.gz
without changing anything else from the constructed rpm.

I now get resulis from:
   ip link
and the beginniongs of a connection.  But I get:

   Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
       SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
   Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
       SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

Yes, twice. Googing around I see that this is an old problem.
I tried fiddling with the password.  Sometimes the password
is echoed in the error report, and sometimes not.  I even tried
a hex password.  Nothing worked.

More suggestions, or perhaps a better driver, would be
much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.