[CentOS] Run commands automatically when bringing up/down network interfaces?

Edward Morbius

dredmorbius at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:26:10 UTC 2011

I'm looking for a capability similar to Debian/Ubuntu's pre/post up/down
network commands capability.

The problem:  we've got a colo in which hosts talk directly to the hosting
provider's router (through a bridging firewall) and hence our hosts MAC
addresses are cached by the router.

We should be able to solve this by pinging the router directly when bringing
up the interface, rather than waiting (a day) for the router's ARP cache to
expire.

Yes, this means we're switching which hosts respond to a specific IP
address, yes, we have to do this periodically.

An alternative would be to remap the MAC address, though pinging the router
seems cleaner, and the MAC remap would /still/ have to run when the
interface is brought up/down.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist / Philologist / Robot Wrangler / Powerplant Operator