[CentOS] Submitting patches from upstream fixes/bugs

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Sep 14 20:10:40 UTC 2011

On 09/14/2011 01:59 PM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
> Based on the bug report for the snapshot-create issue, it seems it's in
> libvirt 0.9.0 and that it's something that may be solved completely in
> Fedora 16.  Is there a good way to find if a specific patch/fix has been
> applied upstream by Red Hat?

grab the sources, look at the code. I hepe to have an easier way than
that soon, stay tuned :)

> What goes into the maintenance of a patch?  I'd be happy to do so, but I
> only know enough C to be able to work in patches / changes and track
> down compile errors, but not enough to have been the original person
> that finds these solutions.

essentially, when you request a package be locally ( ie, in CentOS )
patched, we would need to copy that rpm over from the base distro into
the CentOS Plus repo. Apply the patch, test it, release it. But that
process needs to be re-done everytime there is an update to the rpm, as
long as upstream does not fix the issue, change the expected behaviour
to what you are proposing or remove / change functionality in a way that
its no longer possible to support the patches. But while the patch is in
circulation, it would mean that everytime there is an update from
upstream, you would need to make sure the patch still applies, or adapt
it to apply cleanly.

does this clear up the requirements a bit ?

- KB