[CentOS] Error in updating to 5.7

Nick oinksocket at letterboxes.org
Thu Sep 15 02:15:56 UTC 2011

I also encountered a similar problem.

"yum clean all" did not resolve it, but *not* installing the CR prior to the
update repo did.

I think the problem is that my update script was still installing
centos-release-cr-5.6 (the URL was hardwired, as I couldn't think of a simple
way to get the correct one).  The script also installs the CR repo prior to the
update and uninstalls it afterwards, since I wasn't sure if the CR repo would
continue to exist when 5.7 was released (the CR wiki page [1] says "The
repository will go-away once the packages are released via the regular process").

However, it seems that the CR repo is still there, and a centos-release-5.7
upgrade is available through it.

Is it safe/advisable to leave the CR repo installed in-perpetuity?  Or do I need
to remove it after using it, if I want to prevent potential yum-upgrade errors
if it does go away?

1. http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR