[CentOS] Upgrade from 5.6 => 5.7

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 15 09:35:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Always Learning wrote:

> Golly. I grew-up in real computers. Relational databases are simply
> database structures, linking records. There is no reason to use joins
> and views IF the database is carefully planned. Joins and views are
> another overhead. Rule Number 000001 in programming is Keep It Simple.

Next you'll be saying you don't use triggers and constraints either.

There's nothing wrong with using a database as just a dumb datastore, but you
get out exactly what you put in.  Suddenly your application is responsible for
a whole lot more.  You might see a view as complicating things, but if it can
make your app faster, and make your code cleaner, what's not to like?

I think with most applications like you're describing people have a decision
to make as to how much logic goes in the DB and how much goes in the app.
When you're new to it, I think you tend to put all the logic in the
application.  As you progress I think you at the very least put in controls
into the database to maintain the integrity of the data.

jh