[CentOS] Yum segmentation fault updating from 5.6 to 5.7

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 15 12:57:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 08:22 +0200, Sebastiano Pilla wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > make sure that there isn't any yum/rpm processes running...
> > ps aux|grep yum
> > ps aux|grep rpm
> >
> > Once you've determined they aren't running, try...
> >
> > yum clean metadata
> > yum clean dbcache
> >
> > (those should be executed when you execute 'yum clean all' but maybe it ain't gettin' done)
> >
> > and then
> > yum update
>
> Segmentation fault again:
>
> [root at picard yum.repos.d]# ps aux | grep yum
> root     18050  0.0  0.0   4016   684 pts/1   S+   08:21   0:00 grep yum
> [root at picard yum.repos.d]# ps aux | grep rpm
>
> root     18052  0.0  0.0   4016   684 pts/1   S+   08:21   0:00 grep rpm
> [root at picard yum.repos.d]# yum clean metadata
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
> 6 metadata files removed
> 1 sqlite files removed
> 0 metadata files removed
> [root at picard yum.repos.d]# yum clean dbcache
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
> 0 sqlite files removed
> [root at picard yum.repos.d]# yum update
>
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
>   * base: mirror.opendoc.net
>   * extras: mirror.opendoc.net
>   * updates: mirror.opendoc.net
> base                                          | 1.1 kB     00:00
> base/primary                                  | 961 kB     00:00
> Segmentation fault
----
sounds like someone did some manual mucking in /etc/yum.repos.d

You probably want to start disabling some of the configured repo's
in /etc/yum.repos.d... 'enabled = 0' - I'd probably start by making sure
that all non-CentOS repo's were disabled though it does seem like you
don't get very far through the repo list.

At the point where you stop getting the segfault, you will be able to
identify which repo has a configuration issue.

Craig

believed to be clean.