[CentOS] Dedup (again)

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Sep 16 04:20:06 UTC 2011

On 09/15/11 9:10 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> ZFS, ZFS, ZFS

dedup is an extremely new feature in ZFS and not even enabled in the
latest release of supported Solaris 10...  so, I'd wonder if the A) the
source code for it is in the open source version (Oracle hasn't been
releasing new source code to much of anything) or B) its considered
stable yet.

frankly, the only place I'd consider using any sort of dedup is in a
backup system like backuppc, where its implemented at an application
level rather than transparently in the file system.  as your file system
object count grows, it becomes astronomically more expensive.