[CentOS] Safely Remove Disk on LVM

Theo Band theo.band at greenpeak.com
Fri Sep 16 10:57:46 UTC 2011

On 09/16/2011 05:03 AM, Muhammad Panji wrote:
> Dear All,
> I plan to replace an error disk that is part of an LV. from LVM how-to
> it could be done with using pvmove to move all PE from old disk to new
> disk.But the howto also said that pvmove is slow. Anyone has
> experience using pvmove on 2TB disk?
>
> Is it possible to make all PE on the old disk empty so I don't have to
> do pvmove (assuming that I can make a free space >= 2TB). Thank you in
> advance
> Regards
Yes it is slow, but it works. You can condider to remove some (unused)
LVM that have extends on the physical disk. That speeds it up, as the
extends are marked free again. How many disks do you now have in your
volume group? If only one, then simply try to copy the entire disk to
another one (dd/ddrescue/clonezilla). If the disk has bad sectors, then
the pvmove will most likely fail anyhow.

Theo