[CentOS] CentOS 6.0 Heartbeat missing logd??

Ken Dechick

kend at medent.com
Fri Sep 16 14:07:42 UTC 2011

Hello list,

Working on migrating my existing High-Availability setups from CentOS 5.3 to 6.0, both x86_64. I generally setup a fairly simple 2 node active/passive cluster using DRBD , Heartbeat, and Pacemaker. Use these clusters to run our proprietary Medical software plus a few key services ( openvpn , Digi PortServer Daemon, etc.). I had a procedure in place for doing all of this under 5.3 and was hoping to basically duplicate the same thing on CentOS 6 as an early step in moving all the servers we build to EL6.

I expected some hurdles along the way. New versions of the needed software, the new ext4 file system, my move from standard partitioning to LVM , ect . Biggest issue up till now was that the pacemaker package from CentOS base (pacemaker-1.1.2-7.el6.x86_64.rpm) was built with no support for Heartbeat , surprisingly. That was easy to fix with a quick source rpm rebuild, but now I have run into a new wall I am hoping someone can help me with.

The latest Heartbeat package from EPEL (heartbeat-3.0.4-1.el6.x86_64.rpm) I thought would be the easy way to go for EL6 (was using v3.0.3 on EL5), but it appears to be missing the logd daemon that it is supposed to include.
Heartbeat logd

With Heartbeat v3.0.3 I had the daemon installed as expected as: /etc/ init .d/ logd . In CentOS 6, I installed the v3.0.4 from EPEL and there is no logd installed. Of course heartbeat is complaining that logd is not running, but giving me no more info. So I snagged the source rpm and dug around thinking maybe I had to rebuild that myself too, but I find no mention of logd is these sources anywhere. Surely I am not the first to try to run a Heartbeat/Pacemaker cluster in CentOS 6, am I?? Can anyone shed some light on this? Googled around most of the afternoon yesterday but found no answers, or even anyone else having the same issue. Moving to another messaging layer is not something I really want to consider here. We only build a dozen of so HA setups a year so I try to keep them as similar as possible to make supporting them easier on my team. I used to work directly with Linbit on issues like this but last year the higher-ups in my company decided I knew enough about this stuff already and we dropped our support contract with them, doh !

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank You
Kenneth Dechick
Linux Systems Administrator
Community Computer Services, Inc.

This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail.