[CentOS] LVM lvresize/lvextend requires some space in /etc to grow a logical volume?

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Sep 20 02:19:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 07:15:09PM -0400, Johnny Tan wrote:
> Anyway, here's the real issue with LVM, at least in CentOS-6:
>
> [root at jttest ~]# df
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/vg_main-lv_root
>                        1548144   1548144         0 100% /
>
> [root at jttest ~]# lvextend -L 2G /dev/vg_main/lv_root
>   /etc/lvm/archive/.lvm_jttest.pp.local_5523_51321310: write error
> failed: No space left on device
>   Volume group "vg_main" metadata archive failed.
>   /etc/lvm/cache/.cache.tmp: write error failed: No space left on device

Many LVM modifications make a backup of the lvm metadata, which
typically resides in /etc/lvm.  You might try the -A n switch to
disable the automatic backups (after strongly heeding the advice
in man lvm; but as you said, on a test system, it's fine to play
with).  On a production system, if your / fills to 0 available blocks
you've probably got bigger problems.  :)  So I imagine it's probably not
a problem the LVM developers are too worried about (i.e., they may feel
that the -A switch is sufficient to handle it).

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us