[CentOS] Installation of 6.0

Al Sparks

data345 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 19:07:07 UTC 2011

Some observations.

When I installed 6.0 (base install), the installation interface did not guide me through a network configuration.  I do static IP addresses, not DHCP.

I ended up manually configuring the various /etc/sysconfig files.  I forgot to do the GATEWAY configuration and it took me awhile to figure out why I wasn't able to connect to the server from outside the LAN.

I also forgot to do the DNS settings.  It's deja-vu all over again, going back to the older Red Hat Linux distros.

Anyway, I wasn't able to find a configuration program like "netconfig" to help me out.  Seems like a pretty big omission.

Any thoughts?  Am I missing something?

    === Al