[CentOS] Installation of 6.0

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Tue Sep 20 19:49:56 UTC 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Al Sparks wrote:

> Some observations.
>
> When I installed 6.0 (base install), the installation interface did not guide me through a network configuration.  I do static IP addresses, not DHCP.
>
> I ended up manually configuring the various /etc/sysconfig files.  I forgot to do the GATEWAY configuration and it took me awhile to figure out why I wasn't able to connect to the server from outside the LAN.
>
> I also forgot to do the DNS settings.  It's deja-vu all over again, going back to the older Red Hat Linux distros.
>
> Anyway, I wasn't able to find a configuration program like "netconfig" to help me out.  Seems like a pretty big omission.
>
> Any thoughts?  Am I missing something?
----
No doubt...

assuming that you used anaconda to interactively guide you through the install (the default - not kickstart), after the installation completed and the computer restarts, you should have been led through 'firstboot' which would have you configure:
- time (date/time/timezone/time server)
- security (iptables firewall)
- selinux
- networking
  - static or dynamic
  - hostname
  - dns resolution (/etc/resolv.conf)
  - hosts (/etc/hosts)
- users
  - authentication
  - create the first user (non-root)

Guessing that you didn't look/watch the console on first boot but rather used ssh to connect from another station. If you haven't rebooted the system since the first boot, hook up a monitor/keyboard/mouse and see.

Craig