[CentOS] Ekiga - camera

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Sep 21 19:34:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Johan Vermeulen wrote:

> From: Johan Vermeulen <jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be>
> Subject: [CentOS] Ekiga - camera
>

> dear All,
>
> when first installing CentOs some 6 months ago, I noticed
> this strange thing called Ekiga.
>
> Now, some guys at work use Skype and I heard that's owned
> by Microsoft. So enter James.
>
> I bought a webcam, actualy 2, to test Ekiga. Logitech
> Webcam c210. I saw this url
> :http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/ on this url
> :http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/Webcams
> and in short : I think I have the driver i need --V4L2--
> on my Centos6 machine.

Hello Johan.

I've done some looking into this before, and if you checkout
my Linux Compatible Webcams Guide you will see that if you
use a Logitec c210 which is a UVC camera - and the driver
for UVC devices is already built into the newer Linux
kernel.

"However, the current Linux 2.6.26 kernel and newer includes
the Linux UVC driver natively. So you will not need to
download and compile any driver module source if you
purchase a UVC compatible webcam. It should be Plug-n-Play
like any other USB device"

It looks Like RH may have backported the UVC drivers into
the kernel, as I can use my Logitec webcam OK under Skype :)

[root at karsites ~]# rpm -qv kernel
kernel-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5
kernel-2.6.18-238.9.1.el5
kernel-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5
kernel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5
kernel-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5

[root at karsites ~]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:0802 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C200
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

So I doubt whether it's a Linux driver problem!

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net