[CentOS] How to update CentOS 5.4 to 5.6?

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 09:13:06 UTC 2011

From: Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli.tech at gmail.com>

> Is there a way to update a CentOS 5.4 server to 5.6 (but not 5.7)?
> "yum update" takes me all the way up to 5.7.

First, this is normal; yum update will always take you to the most recent 5.x
Second, you will miss important security/bug fixes by staying at 5.6!
If you want to take the risk anyway, the following (untested) might work:
Modify your /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
try to replace the baseurl's $releasever with 5.6...

JD