[CentOS] CentOS-6 by PXEboot?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Sep 23 14:58:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in installing CentOS-6.0 by PXEboot.

Yep. Several times, in fact.

> If so, would you say how you did it, please.
> I tried (on an HP MicroServer),
> but gave up in the end and used a USB stick installation instead.
> But I'd be very interested to know how to do it, for the future.

I really just followed my procedure for netbooting CentOS 5, but
changed the directory paths.

  0. Set up local http mirror of CentOS 6
  1. Set up tftp server; make CentOS 6 pxe kernel and initrd.img
     available
  2. Use PXE menu to point to right kernel, initrd.img, and boot
     options
  3. Set up DHCP server to point to the correct next-server and
     filename