[CentOS] Building custom installation media

Darrell Esau

desau at sodapopboy.com
Fri Sep 23 17:07:32 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm looking for "the best" way to do a custom installation from CD/DVD
media.

My company sells hardware appliances with our software pre-loaded.  Doing so
requires that we ship an ISO installation media to the hardware manufacturer
who installs it onto the boxes, then ships them out.

We're currently using a solution that will no longer work for us going
forward, and we would like to switch to a CentOS based OS with some of our
software installed on top, with various configuration changes.

What's the best way to do this?

I've looked at Kickstart, and it looks pretty good -- probably will work
perfectly for us assuming my initial glance-through is correct.

Is there another method I should consider?

If not -- using Kickstart, how do I add some custom software?  Should I
create RPMs and add them to the CentOS installation tree?  I want everything
to be on the media, not downloaded from a yum repository.

Thanks!
-d