[CentOS] Files being modified in /bin/

Micky L Martin mickylmartin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:44:22 UTC 2011

So apparently prelink was running.
I disabled it in /etc/sysconfig/prelink and ran 'prelink -ua' to undo the
linking.

I just stumbled upon a document (attached) describing how Linux used to have
a.out  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.out> and now the ELF.

Though I never knew that prelink actually modifies the files and thought of
it as a cache library or something. Literally modifies!!

So, I assume the problem is solved as ls seems to have reverted back but if
not then it may be an LKM kit :|