[CentOS] Finding i/o bottleneck

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 18:56:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Nicolas Ross
<rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca> wrote:
>>> I did used these utilities, while it can help see what processes are
>>> generating IO, it doesn't show what files on the file system are being
>>> asked
>>> or waited for.
>>>
>>> Basicly, what I'm searching is an equivalent for fs_usage on Mac OS X, or
>>> tcpdump, but on a bloc device...
>>
>> Not sure what those do, but lsof should show what files are open, and
>> 'strace -p process_id' would show the system calls issued by a
>> process.
>
> Thanks, that might be usefull. I'ill just have to find a way to strace
> multiple process at once and find the usefull info among that load of
> data...

Note that if what is really happening is that different processes are
frequently accessing the same disk in different locations (a fairly
likely scenario) the time will be mostly taken by the head seeks in
between and may be hard to pin down.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com