[CentOS] Hard I/O lockup with EL6

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 05:16:14 UTC 2011

On 9/27/11, Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> When booting a non-working system, it boots straight up to the boot prompt
> (runlevel 3) without issue, and everything works fine. When the machine sits
> idle for a period of time (ranging from 15 minutes or so and up) the HDD
> becomes unreadable/unwritable and the system is useless for any purpose and
> must be hard restarted with a full power cycle - it won't even shut down.

I'm thinking I might have a similar problem with my test install of
EL6. Initially I had dismissed it as a one-off but it has apparently
locked up again. I'll be visiting it physically later and maybe have
more information to share. However, it is also a 3400-series Xeon, the
rest of the hardware are all cheaper hardware.

What drives are you using in these servers?