[CentOS] Odd issue with C6 and NIS

James A. Peltier

jpeltier at sfu.ca
Tue Sep 27 18:55:52 UTC 2011

I seem to have this very odd issue with CentOS 6 WRT NIS.  I have taken the package selection that I used with CentOS 5 and basically plopped it into my C6 kickstart file (see below).  On C5 this works just fine and I'm able to log in with NIS credentials just fine.  However, it looks like on C6 if you use a package selection like this, you also need to specify the yp-tools package as part of the kickstart *even though* you specify an authentication method of NIS in the kickstart.  Seems like a bug to me?!?

auth  --useshadow  --enablemd5  --enablenis --nisdomain test --nisserver yp.example.com

%packages
@core
augeas
autofs
dstat
nfs-utils
ntp
openssh
openssh-clients
openssh-server
portreserve
puppet
redhat-lsb
rsh-server
sendmail
sendmail-cf
sudo
sysstat
tcp_wrappers
wget
xinetd
yum-utils
%end

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
I will do the best I can with the talent I have