[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Thu Sep 29 23:23:17 UTC 2011

--
Lamar Owen wrote

Drive model number plus serial number.  Really the only way;
  when putting systems together you just need to note the drive model and serial number(s)

--

That seems like an important thing.

After some research I have decided the only two options are

1) to leave as is and deal with any software (such as monitoring tools,
mdadm reports, etc) as they come and try to fix them.

2) You can actually change the order that UDEV looks at things and you
can assign permanent drive letters AFTER the install.
However, there is not much documentation on that, so option 1 seems easiest.

I do not understand the technical reasons why linux decided to
dynamically label things sda, sdb, etc.
After looking at udev files I find the drives are listed by UUID and a
deeper labeling system
like hd0, hd1, hd2.

So why even have the labels in the first place if the system doesn't use
them, you cannot rely on them, and
apparently they don't matter?
It would be better for the anaconda installer to just list them as hd0,
hd1, hd2, etc.

Where this is an issue is when you are cloning drives, adding grubs,
etc...because all my instructions rely on using sda, sdb,
etc...and not UUID or other things. And reports from mdadm (and all tech
instructions) use the sda sdb.

IT is what it is. I am sure there is a reason. Just odd.