[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Sep 30 20:49:18 UTC 2011

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 09/30/11 12:27 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Um, we just went from the 1TB drives to 3TB drives, so I only need four.
>>
> yes, but 12 2.5" 1TB drives take the same amount of space (1U), and are
> capable of higher IO throughput due to being more spindles.

You missed what I originally said: I have a two-bay eSATA dock, like this
<http://www.bizrate.com/hard-drives/2095977853.html>. And it's only on one
channel. It's not a high priority, so it takes me the better part of a
week to do the backups *shrug*, it also doesn't strain the network, esp.
when some folks are moving *large* amounts of data (we do actual
scientific computing here). Network lag would be very much of a bad thing.

        mark