[CentOS] disk partitioning: 6.0 install to harddrive using liveCD

Thu Sep 22 14:14:54 UTC 2011
centos at trodman.com <centos at trodman.com>

Greetings:

I'm planning to set up a test Centos 6.0 box (has CDROM, but no
DVD) with these partions:

  /             10GB     ( no separate mount for /usr )
  /tmp           1GB
  /var          10GB
  /boot        500MB

The centos mirrors I have seen do not provide the full distro on
CD (this box has no DVD).  I'm used to having about 6 CD isos to work with.

The livecd install to hard drive works, but apparently does not
support custom partitioning (correct me if I'm wrong).

What do you suggest I do to get the partitioning I want?

I'm leaning towards: booting into single user mode, back up /var
to tar file, delete /var, create a new partion for /var and /tmp,
update /etc/fstab, mount /var and /tmp, restore /var from tar
backup.  Is the best way?  I have no investment in the current
install, so I can start from scratch.

--
thanks/regards,
Tom