[CentOS] is there a way to make the kernel see a new ethernet device without rebooting?

Tue Sep 27 13:19:42 UTC 2011
Jon Detert <jdetert at infinityhealthcare.com>

I have a VMWare ESX server with virtual machines running CentOS.  I want to add an ethernet interface to one of the CentOS virtual machines.  VMWare allowed me to add a virtual NIC to the CentOS virtual machine while it was running.  However, the CentOS o.s. cannot see the new NIC.  Is there a command I can run to make the kernel aware of the new ethernet device?  I don't want to reboot the CentOS o.s. if I don't have to

Thanks,

JD