[CentOS] CentOS 6 Partitioning Map/Schema

Thu Sep 1 02:25:46 UTC 2011
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Good Evening All,
>
> I have a question regarding CentOS 6 server partitioning. Now I know
> there are a lot of different ways to partition the system and different
> opinions depending on the use of the server. I currently have a quad
> core intel system running 8GB of RAM with 1 TB hard drive (single). In
> the past as a FreeBSD user, I have always made a physical volume of the
> root filesystem (/), SWAP, /tmp, /usr, /var, and /home. In the
> partitioning manager I would always specify 10GB for root, 2GB or so for
> SWAP, 20GB var, 50GB usr, 10GB /tmp, and allocate all remaining space to
> my home directory as my primary data volume (assuming all my
> applications are installed and ran from my home directories). I was
> recently told that this is an old style of partitioning and is not used
> in modern day Linux distributions. So more accurately, here are my
> questions to the list:
>
> 1) What is a good partition map/schema for a server OS where it's
> primary purpose is for a LAMP server, DNS (bind), and possibly gameservers
>
> 2) CentOS docs recommend using 10GB SWAP for 8GB of RAM. 1X the amount
> of physical memory + 2GB added. (Reference:
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-diskpartitioning-x86.html).
> I was told this is ridiculous and will severely slow down the system. Is
> this true? If so, what is a good swap space to use for 8GB of RAM? The
> university of MIT recommends making MULTIPLE 2GB swap spaces equaling
> 10GB if this is the case. Please help!

Given machines now come with multiple Gigs of RAM now, swap is pretty
much not needed (and if it is, the solution is to stuff more memory in
the box or look to memory leaks).

Usually 1-2 Gig of swap is enough to cover 'emergencies'.  If you are
hitting this limit, something is wrong somewhere (this assumes you have
enough physical RAM).  The 1X + 2G rule cited in the page above is
excessive (where did that come from?). Short of memory leaks or memory
intensive activities, you should never use much swap space -- some
little used system daemons might get swapped out early on, but that
should have little impact on system performance.

The idea of MULTIPLE 2GB swap spaces is also dumb, and I belive relates
to older kernels (2.4?) which could not handle swap partitions larger
then 2GIG (and this might also be a 32-bit limitation as well).