[CentOS] hfsplus.ko

Fri Sep 2 04:48:47 UTC 2011
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 01/09/11 22:05, Jerry Geis wrote:
>    I'm not all that excited about using another repo.
>
> I changed the makefile to:
> obj-m += hfsplus.o

<snip>

> I extracted the source for 2.6.32.46 and found the fs/hfsplus directory.
> The above files are present. I changed the makefile to the above.
>
> All the files compile - however I dont know how to make the hfsplus.ko
> What step does that take?
>
> Thanks, ( I know most people just use the repo - but I can't do that).

The elrepo.org module uses the source code from the RHEL6 kernel and
builds that rather than trying to backport a module from the upstream
kernel. Remember, the source code is in the RHEL6 kernel, it's just not
enabled by default.

Why don't you take a look at the elrepo SRPM and audit/rebuild it for
your own use - a packaged solution is nearly always the correct solution
(as KB pointed out recently elsewhere on this list), and by building a
kABI-tracking kmod RPM package you will likely never need to update it
again (otherwise you will need to recompile the module for every kernel
update). Or you can use the SRPM as a template to create your own
package using your kernel-2.6.32.46 source.

You should also consider filing a bug report upstream and make a case
for hfsplus inclusion in the RHEL6 kernel. It's not unheard of for Red
Hat to turn modules back on that they had previously disabled.

If you need any more specific help/assistance, pop over to the elrepo
mailing lists and Akemi or I will be more than happy to assist you there.

Hope that helps.