[CentOS] Update to CentOS 6.0 without CD/DVD reader

Fri Sep 2 12:36:51 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Always Learning wrote:

>> I've had a disaster on my home network server;
>> the partition table on the disk containing / has become corrupted,
>> and testdisk has not enabled me to recover the table.
>> If anyone can help with this I should be grateful.
>
> Have you used testdisk to find and copy files to another partition ?

Just a note in praise of testdisk.

Basically, I ran testdisk as root,
and chose the disk /dev/sdb .
After choosing Intel/PC as partition protocol,
I ran "Analyse".
This took about half-an-hour (with a 2TB disk).
When it finished, it listed the partitions.
On choosing one (by moving up/down and clicking)
I typed "P" and it showed the contents of one partition (/Photos).
The contents of the other partitions were visible in the same way,
so I clicked on Write to write the new partition table to disk,
and all was well again.

The only oddity was that two partitions were merged,
so that there was one fewer than before.
But fortunately there was nothing of importance in these partitions.
(One was a swap partition, and the other contained Fedora-13.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net