[CentOS] ICMPv6 messages of type RS

Tue Sep 6 14:42:08 UTC 2011
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Helmut Drodofsky wrote:

> as described by CISCO in
> http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/archived_issues/ipj_7-2/ipv6_autoconfig.html
>
> a router has to send ICMPv6 messages of type RS to the all-router multicast group: ff02::1 and ff02::2 for stateless autoconfiguration.
>
> How can I activate this sending in CentOS?

I believe what you seek to enable is provided by the radvd,
which is in the package of the same name.  We had to provide
configuration to get it working properly on our direct
assignment ipv6 block at PMman, and to take steps to filter
out 'non-authoritative' advertisements from clients running
the daemon on domU instances, to get it working as we
expected, handing out the proper route information

We use this to do assignments both for our production
networking, and also pass this through to client instances as
a matter of default-enabled.  All the admin for a client domU
needs to do is comment out a couple of lines and it 'just
works'

For local network ipv6, simply enabling the 'avahi' services
will suffice

-- Russ herrold