[CentOS] Networking question

Wed Sep 7 17:39:21 UTC 2011
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

 <tdukes at ...> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use a mobile hot spot such as the one from Verizon
> to run a home network? Is there a way to do
> this without having to buy wireless cards? I was thinking maybe I would
> have to buy one for my centos machine
> which acts as my gateway but would like to have other devices wired.
>
> Not sure if a wireless router or access point would allow me to do so.
>
> TIA,
>
> Eddie

My experience with mobile hotspots is that they work just like having a DSL or
cable connected wireless router.  You don't need a separate router but you will
want to make sure everything that connects to it is firewalled.  The one I
tried out earlier this year was even running Linux "under the hood."

The big difference between a mobile hotspot and some other form of connectivity
is cost since you need a cell phone type data plan for the mobile hotspot.
These aren't too bad for surfing the 'net but you can blow your data cap by
downloading one ISO or chew through a lot of it with just a point release
update.  I can't imagine what a suitable data plan would cost for multiple
systems.

Cheers,
Dave