[CentOS] boot problem after disk change on raid1

Wed Sep 7 20:53:09 UTC 2011
Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org>

--On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 02:38:14 PM -0600 Devin Reade
<gdr at gno.org> wrote:

> Sounds like the 'no boot record' issue.  Here's an extract from one
> of my server change logs, for setting things up *before* they go bad:

I should add that, with a tested boot-from-alternate disk in place
I've been able to avoid the boot into rescue mode procedure, thus
minimizing down time.  Ignoring the case of hot-swap devices and
hot spares:

   - shut down system
   - remove faulty disk
   - add in replacement disk
   - reboot to normal run level (3 or 5).  RAID is now running in
     degraded mode, but you're back in operation
   - do disk paritioning, MBR init, and reconstruction while in service

Devin