[CentOS] Networking question

Thu Sep 8 13:47:16 UTC 2011
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

 <tdukes at ...> writes:

<Lots deleted>

> After checking with Verizon on their mobile Hotspot plans, it isn't feasible.
However, I can do it through
> my unlimited data plan for my iPhone. 3G is faster than the Road Runner
service I have.

> If I use the IPhone, I can use a USB connection. My centos machine acts as my
firewall/gateway on my wired
> network so the question now is, if I use the USB connection to my centos
machine will that bypass the firewall?

> Thanks

That mainly depends on how the USB data connection to your iPhone shows up on
the Linux box.  If the iPhone shows up as a network connection (i.e., it's a
peer and you have networking over USB) then you just need to make sure that data
on that connection still goes through IPtables.  If the iPhone just shows up as
a mass storage device, you'll first have to figure out how to get it to show up
as a peer.

I'm interested in whether you can make this work since I will need a similar
capability (smart phone acting as Internet gateway) in the near future.

Cheers,
Dave