[CentOS] CentOS 6 Installation on Thinkpad X220

Sun Sep 11 16:20:02 UTC 2011
Janne TH. Nyman <jnyman at jbtec.org>

> And she changed it from AHCI to compatibility mode (had to change itto
> that mode to make the drive being recognized?), which is not the best
> setting regarding speed.
Alexander: The she is actually a he :)

> Quite right, sorry, I'd read it backwards.  So presumably either a bug
> in the
> AHCI support, or a limitation/bug of the kernel driver?
> jh
John: Actually, this is a complete false alarm.

Actual Solution:
You don't have to change anything on these laptops. But it is a good tip
that when installing from external cd/dvdrom, if it first does not work,
change usb port and try again.

I changed back the BIOS to AHCI. I was previously plugged into the top
left USB port I.e. the one on the left hand side closes to the monitor
or back side.

When lenovo's external CDROM/DVD is plugged into this port, I am unable
to install linux in general or other OS's. Once I plug it into any of
the other USB ports bottom left or right, it works perfectly.

No wonder I haven't found any problem posts regarding x220 and
CentOS/RHEL.

Thanks for all your time supporting me. Fantastic responses on this
mailing list.

Use external CD/DVD ROM, just ensure to plug it into the right port :)

Cheers,
Janne "Janski" Nyman
E: jnyman at jbtec.org