[CentOS] TIP for broken ARIN whois

Mon Sep 12 02:31:40 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at u61.u22.net>

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 10:55 +1000, Steve Walsh wrote:

> I wrote:-
> > A one line script solves it for me (but only for ARIN network entries).
> >
> > 	#!/bin/bash
> > 	whois -h whois.arin.net n + $1

> Any particular reason you used a bash script as opposed to an alias in
> your bash config?

My understanding of aliases is I can not include additional parameters
although I know virtually little about them. I do use links like these

	sv = service
	ipt = iptables

etc. but have never knowingly used an alias. Don't forget I am a Linux
novice. Everything I currently know I have taught myself either from
books, experimentation or examples on this list or adapted from similar
things from pre-Linux days.

> > I call my script .arin
> >
> > 	.arin 64.64.64.64
> >
> > produces a normal output.
>

> Out of interest, have you thought about sending this through to the
> NANOG (http://www.nanog.org/mailinglist/) list?

Never heard of them. It see it is the North American Network Operators'
Group. Following your suggestion I will repost the item there.

Regards,

Paul.