[CentOS] TIP for broken ARIN whois

Wed Sep 14 18:26:58 UTC 2011
Michael H. Warfield <mhw at WittsEnd.com>

Just a point on the curve but...

ARIN has made a deliberate decision to move emphasis over to their
RESTful Web Interface, Whois-RWS.  Part of the reason is performance and
part of the reason is for granularity of the data available.  They
really REALLY want people to make that move although they will continue
to support the old whois for a lot of the basic stuff.

https://www.arin.net/resources/whoisrws/index.html

I believe one of the things I heard at last years NANOG / ARIN
conference here in Atlanta was that they would no longer be providing
certain information such as reverse DNS servers in the old whois because
that's now in a different database or some such.  On another closed
security forum on which I participate someone was having problems
getting at Abuse POC information.  There a parameter for that as well
but they prefer using the Whois-RWS interface and API instead.  I think
we'll be hearing more of that as time goes on.

Regards,
Mike