[CentOS] trouble booting install CD on old machine

Thu Sep 15 15:06:01 UTC 2011
Christopher Hawker <cwhawker1 at gmail.com>

This is just a random idea, but could you have burned the cd at a
speed higher than the optical drive can read? I burn all my software
at 4x because i know it will then work in any and every machine.

 - Christopher Hawker

On 9/15/11, Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a bit of an issue booting the full 5.7 install CD on an older
> machine.  I downloaded the ISOs earlier today, checked the sha1sums, and
> burned the CDs with no reported errors.  But when I try to boot, the
> isolinux banner comes up quickly, but then instead of the boot prompt, I
> get a completely blank screen.  After 30-60 seconds, I get a message in
> purple, the exact wording I don't recall, but something like "can't
> boot, please restart".
>
> Many years ago I put CentOS 4 on this machine, so I know it can boot CD
> media, and earlier today I booted an older UBCD, so I know that it can
> successfully boot from CD at the present time.  (I didn't have time to
> test the CD I burned in another box; I will do that next time I have the
> CD.)
>
> What other options do I have for getting 5.7 on this box?  I have a few
> ideas:
>
> --do some troubleshooting with the 5.7 CD.  I don't really know how to
> go about this, and there's no guarantee it'll end up with being able to
> boot in the end.
> --perhaps an older CentOS 5 ISO will work better?  Testing this will be
> fairly quick but is not sure to work.
> --remove the system disk, put it into another system that is known to
> boot the 5.7 CD, install there, then put the disk back.  This could be
> somewhat time consuming (the machine is in a rack, and the system drive
> is buried in the chassis, not hot-swappable), but is pretty sure to work.
> --try to boot from USB.  As I said, it's an old box, so I'm not sure it
> supports booting over USB media.  There were no "boot from USB" options
> in the BIOS; I could try to flash the firmware, but that seems excessive
> for this sort of issue.
>
> Other thoughts/suggestions?  Any ideas why I'd be seeing this particular
> boot behavior?  It's not something I've seen before; either booting
> fails before even reaching isolinux, or the kernel panics on finding some
> exotic and/or broken piece of hardware.
>
> --keith
>
> --
> kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

--
 If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me on +61 478 241
896.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker