[CentOS] Upgrade from 5.6 => 5.7

Thu Sep 15 17:14:04 UTC 2011

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 9/15/11, Always Learning <centos at u61.u22.net> wrote:
>> I have written 20+ complete systems using these and found them to be
>> fast and very effective. Everyone who has seen my HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL
>> systems has been favourably impressed (me too!). MySQL is a fast
>> database system. Never ever used a SQL join or view, just well designed
>> databases with carefully planned tables - that is the art of good
>> programming.
>
> So how do you retrieve data that are kept in different tables? Or do
> you simply replicate the same data in every single table that needs
> it?

I've done a lot of what we used to call embedded SQL, and when I did do a
join, it was *not* an explicit join. I've also used right or left once?
twice? ever? But then, I carefully design and code my queries. One place I
worked, someone else would run a query, and it would bring a server to its
knees: I and a co-worker looked at it at one point, and it was a nightmare
of joins, multiple references, etc, etc.

But then, third normal form is, in general, idiotic except in the design
phase. After you've decided on individual data, then collect them into
records (oh, sorry, I'll have to do penance for not using the correct
theological term, tubles). One table for one major set of info, and a key
or two across several. Classic is an entire year's monthly payments for
one customer on *one* record, not 12 records, as it would be in third
normal.

         mark