[CentOS] Yum segmentation fault updating from 5.6 to 5.7

Fri Sep 16 15:26:52 UTC 2011
sebastiano at datafaber.net <sebastiano at datafaber.net>

I've finally managed to update one of my boxes to 5.7. I did it in a
very roundabout way, which however confirms that at least in my boxes
there's something wrong in the way yum creates the sqlite databases.

I've basically followed the guide at
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalMirror to create my own mirror
of the 5.7 'os' and 'updates' directories, created the yum repository
with 'createrepo -d' to pre-create the sqlite database and made this
mirror accessible to the other boxes via HTTP.

I then created a /etc/yum.repos.d/Local.repo file which specifies my
private mirror for the [base] and [updates] repositories, commented out
everything in the /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and ran

yum clean all
yum update

Everything updated flawlessly and the box restarted normally with the
newer kernel.

Now, this doesn't solve the original yum problem, but at least confirms
that the creation of a corrupted sqlite database was indeed the real
issue.

Many thanks to all the people on the list who have suggestions and
advice, particularly to Alain Péan who pointed me in the right
direction.

Have a nice weekend
Sebastiano Pilla