[CentOS] Upgrade from 5.6 => 5.7

Fri Sep 16 18:10:02 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 09/15/11 12:51 PM, Always Learning wrote:
>> that data is normalized, there is no redundant data in any of those
>> >  tables, they are connected by the relations defined via the references
>> >  ('foreign keys').
> I would not design my orders database exactly like you have.

once again, you completely miss the point, and go off on a tangent
explaining how YOU do things, justifying your ignorance.

ignoring the fact that I contrived my example in a few minutes, and it
was not intended to be a realistic complete implementation of a order
processing system, that same set of normalized tables could be used to
generate a result like...

select c.name, c.address, sum(ci.price*oi.qty) from customers c
                  join customerorders co on (co.customer=c.id)
                  join orderlineitem oi on (co.id=oi.catalogid)
                  join catalogitem cati on (cati.id=oi.catalogid)
              group by c.id;

which would output a list of all customers with their name, address, and total of their sales.

select cati.description, sum(oi.qty) from orderlineitem oi
                  join catalogitem cati on (cati.id=oi.catalogid)
              group by cati.id order by sum(oi.qty) desc;

would output a list of all catalog items and the total quantity.  a slightly more involved query could summarize this by month or by year by customer, etc etc.