[CentOS] selinux policy remnant according to /bin/ls on CentOS 6.0 box

Tue Sep 20 17:52:34 UTC 2011
James Edwards <jedwards at bsdftw.org>

On 9/20/2011 1:48 PM, Jon Detert wrote:
> I installed CentOS 6.0 on 2 different x86_64 boxen.  Both originally had selinux installed and enabled.  I never touched selinux other than to remove as much of it as I could via rpm -e.  As far as I can tell, here are the remaining packages that have something to do with it:
>
> # rpm -qa | grep -iE 'sel|pol'
> checkpolicy-2.0.22-1.el6.x86_64
> libselinux-2.0.94-2.el6.x86_64
> libsepol-2.0.41-3.el6.x86_64
> polkit-0.96-2.el6_0.1.x86_64
> #
>
> Both boxen have those packages.
>
> However:
>
> 1) box1 still has files in /selinux whereas box2's /selinux is empty;
> 2) ls -l on box1 shows a '.' at the end of file/directory, which means a SELinux security context applies, according to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_FAQ#Why_does_ls_show_a_dot_.28..29_or_a_plus_.28.2B.29_at_the_end_on_the_file_modes_for_some_files.3F
>
> Any idea why box1 still seems to have an selinux policy applied, and how to un-apply it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

Did you disable SELinux by changing 'SELINUX=disabled' in
/etc/sysconfig/selinux?  Wouldn't that be easier than removing all the
RPMs?  If I may ask, is there a reason to removing the packages?

Thanks,
James